The more Sara, the better!

Daily dribble about life, pets, coupons and of course NKOTB!

Whirled away…

on March 9, 2014

Well last Thursday I packed up and headed to the airport at the crack of before dawn to catch my 630 flight, which was delayed an hour (delta) but was mute like an hour until we got to the tarmac…

Arrived in Minneapolis 14 minutes late and missed my connection because Delta doesn’t believe in holding flights for transfers from their already late planes. That required me to stay 4 HOURS there until the next available flight. Should have been 3, but the plane was having issues so they sent another which also had issues so everything was delayed longer.   Awesome to have 3 planes all with mechanical issues right? All I heard from their employees was “I’m sorry” a thousand times but no resolution to the problem. So I took it to Twitter and complained to delta there. They looked into everything and after another apology, seemingly more genuine, issued new a $50 travel voucher. Which I doubt I’ll ever use. Anytime I fly anything but Southwest there’s issues, so I’ve learned my lesson.

So anyways, I got to Chicago 5 hours later than I should have. My cousin Dave had his own issues with Alaska air, being stuck in Seattle for 12 hours and his bag never being put on the plane with him to Chicago. While he was waiting for me, he was smart enough to go buy replacement clothes.

We were supposed to attend the viewing service that day, but they closed at 6 pm and with the time difference from Chicago to Indiana there was no way to make it.

During the drive we called my other cousin (Dave’s brother) Mike, he lives in Australia and I haven’t heard from him in at least 15 years I’d say so that was nice.

Eventually we got to our hotel around ten, he went to pick up some toiletries for himself and I crashed in my bed.

The next morning we met up with my cousins husband, Ed, her bff Barbie, and I finally got to meet her boys, oh were they sweethearts and looked just like her and full of personality.

Here’s Mason, he’s ten..


And Miles, he’s 7..


I won’t lie, when I first saw Miles I started crying, because he looks exactly like his mom. While they all got ready we caught up with Barbie and chatted for a few. Of course I made friends with the dogs.



And Boo


We made our way to the funeral home and kinda hung outside for a few getting our bearings together to go inside. I figured it would be a good time to get a pic of the boys..


A lot of people showed up, it was really comforting to know she had a good support system there and a lot of people who cared about her. A few people including Dave got up to speak, it was a lot to take in. Mainly because there was an open casket and we weren’t really prepared for that. She didn’t look like herself. She was so skinny, so frail, she really looked like our grandmother.

Ed and Chrissy


The program was really nice too





Afterwards we joined up at Ed’s mothers house for food and comfort. Talked to a lot of their family and friends and got to interact with the boys some more.



After a while there everyone dispersed and we were the last to leave. I made sure to give both Ed and the boys my name, address and phone number so if they need anything they can always call me. We both told them any time they want to come visit me in CO or Dave in Alaska that they’re welcome to.

After that Dave and I went back to the hotel and just reminisced about our lives, our crazy family, and our future. Then we met up with Barbie for dinner at a Mongolian restaurant. Of all places we could have chosen to go eat, our waitress was Ed’s sister in law. We thought Chrissy had something to do with that… We sat there for a few hours, closed down the restaurant just talking and sharing pictures. We all exchanged numbers and Facebook info.

The next morning we had our hotel breakfast and got back on the road to Chicago. We talked to Mikey again for a while filling him in on everything. We drove by Perdue to see that side of the city which was really nice and historical looking.

Once we got to Chicago I had him drop me off at the fashion outlets area to meet up with my long time internet friend Molly and her baby Jenna! We figured we’ve probably been talking for about ten years, since LJ days! So we had some yummy Mexican food and chatted for a while before they took me back to the airport.




Thankfully I had an uneventful, smooth, on time flight back home even after stopping in Atlanta. Their airport is kinda confusing though for connections but I made it.

Once I got to my car I hauled ass to get the dogs from the sitter since she was staying up late for me to get there. I had to stop at Wal-Mart on the way home to pick up a button down shirt for work since it was the only place open, so we finally got home around 1230 and got in bed asap. After being in like 4 different time zones plus DST today my body was so confused. Of course I woke up a lil late for work, but it was fine.

So overall it was a whirlwind trip and weekend, but I’m really really glad we went. It was the right thing to do for us and we knew it.


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: